"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Thursday, April 20, 2017

A Mother's Day Book

Someone from Deseret Book contacted me to see if I'd like to review a copy of a new Mother's Day picture book for moms. I'm a mom. I love books. I love picture books. And I love the idea of books as gifts. So I said yes.

The book arrived in today's mail. It's a small, fun shape - less than 6.5 inches tall and 7.5 inches long. And it's a bright pink!

Once There Was A Mother by Emily Watts, Illustrated by Destin Cox


From the publisher:
"Mom" was the biggest word in her world.
It made her want to dance, and it made her want to hide.
And on some nights, when the house was dark and still and the moon peeked through the window, it made her wonder.
For every mom who has ever wondered if all the little things she does in a day make a difference, Once There Was a Mom offers hope and encouragement. Take it from someone who, like you, has read story after story, sung lullaby after lullaby, and even taken the batteries out of the toys once in a while! The truth is, little things are much more important than we may think. With contemporary, stylized illustration by artist Destin Cox, this charming gift book will bring a smile to the face of mothers of any age.

I read it to my 14 year old daughter and my 4 year old son (the oldest and youngest in the family who happened to be nearby when the mail arrived). My daughter said it was adorable. My son said it didn't have enough explosions (note: It had zero explosions).

I thought it was cute. It's definitely not a book geared to kids, but meant for moms... moms of all ages. It doesn't gloss over how hard it is being a mom, but it doesn't drag you down with how hard it is either. The page below is one of my favorites. My daughter and I both especially loved that the books the mom has are titled "Again" and "Again." And I love the artwork. Simple, but beautiful.



It made me smile. It made me tear up. Overall, this would be a cute gift to give to a mom for Mother's Day (coming up May 14th)! I would be happier to receive this than to receive chocolate. Well... who am I kidding, I'd like this AND some chocolate!

The book can be found here: Deseret Book

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...