"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

On Writing

I used to have so many ideas for stories, but as life, adulthood, parenting, family, etc. have all gotten in the way, even when I have an idea, I don't have time to flesh out the idea. I realized something this week. I was a horrible student (well, I knew that). But it was when I was a student that I had time (or used the time) to daydream the stories I would write. I'd sit in class or church or wherever I was, and daydream about the idea I had, and when I got a chance, write it down. I don't have time to daydream anymore! I'm a responsible adult, so even when I'm in a boring meeting, I realize I shouldn't be daydreaming, I should be paying attention. Sometimes I conscientiously make an effort to daydream out a story idea so I can sit down and type it up, I usually end up falling asleep. I'd be horrible at meditation! I'm too sleepy a person. Maybe I need to start attending boring meetings that are unimportant so I can daydream through them... and then write.

Update: An hour after I wrote this post, I came across this interview with Neil Gaiman telling people that if they want to be a writer, they need to get bored. Obviously, he said it all better than I did, but it's sort of the same idea! http://lifehacker.com/if-you-want-to-be-a-writer-neil-gaiman-says-you-should-1788961635?utm_content=buffer2c7dc&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...