"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Lazy Runner

I am not a runner. But if I'm going to do any form of exercise to be fit, running would be my first choice. The year before we moved to China we joined our neighborhood YMCA and with an indoor track, I could run year round. I was working up to running a 5K, which I never ran, but I could run/walk most of the 5K distance and I could run a mile straight without stopping/walking. This was a huge accomplishment. Every Friday in high school PE we ran laps and I'm pretty sure I never ran any part of one lap.
Then we moved to China. The air was bad. The weather was either hot and humid or cold and frigid. There was a track, but we lived on the campus and as foreigners, everyone would have known I was the loser who couldn't run. So I never got around to running. Fast forward two years and I go for a mile run with my 12 year old because he needs to record times and show improvement for a Boy Scout requirement. Ugh... all that work 3 years ago is wasted. I just ran like a 12 minute mile and my body is never going to recover! And now I have to work back up to running a mile without stopping. And being able to walk/run a 5K.

And I really need to because on top of being totally out of shape, returning to America has also been really bad for my weight. Before leaving China, I got really sick... like lost 8 lbs in a week sick. Yay for being skinny. It was the lowest my weight has been in years! Except then I returned to America and all the glorious foods here (dairy products alone!) and quickly gained that 8 lbs and an accompanying 8 or 9 more. This might not seem like much, and I'm not trying to be inconsiderate to people with real weight concerns... but this is the most I've ever weighed (non-pregnant) in my life! Everyone can relate to that right, no matter what the number is.

So I went from eating healthy meals but lots of treats and running 3 miles most days, to eating... in China, and never running, but walking a ton, to a pretty sedentary lifestyle. But I'm in Florida... I should be able to run outside all winter. Right?

So running and yoga... this is my new life and I need to accept it.

2 comments:

Miss L said...

Glad you are back in country! :)

Alanna said...

This is totally me. I got super in shape for a while there and I loved being able to run a mile straight without stopping (also something I never did in high school PE EVER-- in fact, my lowest grade was in PE because I refused to run!). And then I had Colton. And I was just about to start getting serious with my exercising again when I found out I was pregnant with Camille. And now I really should start exercising, but I don't have anyone to run with and my neighborhood is super hilly and I have a tendency towards bad knees and and and... And I'm just not.

Maybe some day.

I'm glad you're back in the country and blogging more again-- I've missed this blog! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...