"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Saturday, May 23, 2015

Extinction

I hate having things I love disappear out of existence. And I'm not talking of extinct animals, or about losing loved ones. This post is much shallower than that. I'm talking about favorite restaurants, foods, TV shows, etc. I remember as a kid loving the nachos at a place called Naugles. Naugles shut down when I was ten. Last year, the best Mexican restaurant ever, the one I've been eating at since I was three, the tiny cafe in my hometown, came very close to closing its doors for good. It didn't and I ate there every chance I got last summer when I was in town (when I wasn't eating at In N Out Burger).  With the current economy in the US, other than the job security of my friends and family, the one big worry I have is that the places I've come to know and love will go out of business. It happened to Borders. Remember how the Twinkie almost went away for good? It used to be that Krispy Kremes were opening all over and now the only one in my parents' county is closed. Last year, in Ohio, we had to drive 45 minutes away for our kids to experience a fresh Krispy Kreme donut. There used to be Kissables, they were little chocolate chip sized Hershey Kisses coated in a candy shell. Gone. I'm not cool with the things that I love going away.

And I know. I said things, but remember, I already said this post was going to be super shallow.

Here's the good news, the way TV and movies are in this digital age, even when a show I love gets cancelled, there's still a chance it won't be gone forever. Boy Meets World came back as Girl Meets  World. There's a new Full House in the works called Fuller House. Arrested Development came back with a Netflix season. Veronica Mars (I jumped on this bandwagon after the movie came out) used a Kickstarter to fund a movie (and then there were two books written, yes, I read them). Last week The Mindy Project was cancelled and just a couple of days later it was picked up as a Hulu show! And, The X-files series ended in 2002, the second movie was released in 2008 and they are now working on a new comeback miniseries.

I'm loving this digital era.

1 comment:

Alanna said...

Mindy Project was CANCELLED?!?! How do I never know these things? Well, I'm glad Hulu is picking it up!

Honestly, I agree with you that it sucks when things go away. But it sometimes also kind of sucks when they just get old and crappy. My favorite Mexican restaurant in my home town has been doing that for a long time now-- I'm pretty sure my parents only eat there when I'm in town. It's kind of sad...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...