"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Changes in Photography

As I was out walking today, I saw students from the high school where Jed teaches out around campus with fancy cameras around their necks. I didn't actually see any of them taking pictures, but they were wandering around, looking, trying to find something to photograph for an art assignment. It got me wondering why I never took an interest in photography in high school.

To begin with, I'm not even sure my high school had photography classes. The only time I was aware of photography as a thing in high school was the handful of school newspaper photographers. I'm not artistically inclined, so I didn't go anywhere near art classes in school. But photography, that's the type of art I could embrace and maybe even be good at. I had a camera. A nice camera. But not a "photography camera," just a point and shoot camera. 

Then I realized something. When I was in high school, photography was a very different art form then it is today. It didn't involve computers at all. You had to have a dark room and chemicals and hang the photos to dry after you developed them. There was no screen on the camera to let you know if you'd gotten a decent shot, and if you didn't get a decent shot, all the time you spent developing the photograph was for naught. This. This is why I wasn't involved in photography back then. I have no interest in that sort of thing. I mean, it seems cool. I like the image created for the type of person who would be interested in developing photos. The same type who would have a bike with a basket as her means of transportation. I wish I was that person. I'm not.

So that is why I'm an extreme amateur when it comes to photography. I recently replaced my broken, maybe seven(!!) year old Nikon Coolpix camera with a newer, more expensive version of the same camera. I'd wanted to splurge and get a "photography camera," but then I realized I needed to wait until I could also enroll myself in a bunch of classes to teach me how to use it. Then... then I'll wander around with a fancy camera around my neck looking for stuff to photograph. I'm adding it to my list of things to do when the kids are a little more grown up and I have more time. That happens, right?

1 comment:

Alanna said...

I took photography in high school, but only because we already had a camera (it had been my Grandpa's, who was a professional photographer back in the day) and the class counted as one of your occupational education classes, which meant I took that instead of keyboarding. It was a really fun class, though, and I really liked developing the film and all that entailed. Some day when my kids are older, getting back to that would be cool...!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...