"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Monday, April 20, 2015

"She's writing, she's writing, she's writing a novel..."

I've been writing again. Or trying to. Or editing. Or something. I have great ideas for books to be written. And I do a decent job writing some of the scenes, so much so that years later when I reread them I'm frustrated with the author (myself) for leaving them unfinished so I don't know what is to become of the characters.
Here's my problem, I don't have all day to sit around, day-dreaming the scenes I'll perfect after a few run throughs in my head and then put on paper (or computer screen as the case is these days). That's how I did my writing in high school and in college.
And editing. I'm working on a story I started so many years ago I don't even want to think about it. I finally erased the start date from the top of the document so it would stop freaking me out. I'm constantly changing things around, and editing the story parts that I have written so they make sense. And then there are so many scenes to add to make the whole thing come together and make sense (and be the length of an actual book). Then I go and do stuff like change a characters main passion in life, so I have to rewrite a bunch of things. Plus I'm still not sure which direction this story should take, how the guy should win the girl back, how hard she should resist, how it should all happen.
But I'm writing. That counts for something, right?
 


*Post title taken from the song, "Open Book" by Cake.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...