"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Defining Oneself

You know how any social media asks you to write a description, a few words that define who you are to the rest of the (digital) world? Sometimes it's nice to be free and open to the online world, more so than I am to the random acquaintances I am forced to mingle with at real-life social functions. But sometimes, it would be nice to have that little box describing who I am attached to me in real life too. I feel like socially I'm completely incompetent. Some days/parties/interactions are better than others, but in general, I don't see myself as a social person, let alone one who appears cool and put together when forced into interacting with others. It would be nice to have that little box, helping define who I am. When we go to work functions with Jed's colleagues, I'm the woman with four kids. Or the lady who homeschools. That's it. They have no idea of any other interests, talents, personality traits that I have, nor do they care. And I don't blame them, all I know about each of them is the subject they teach and the state/country from which they originate. But at an event where everyone thinks having four kids is nuts and they are all professional educators, it'd be nice to be known as more than the homeschooling weirdo with all the kids. Plus, in China, I'm limited by the other things I would typically use to define myself. It doesn't matter that I have a degree in English-teaching because I'm not using it. It doesn't matter that I love baking/cooking, nothing I'm doing here is noteworthy and I'm not bringing amazing creations to parties or events at school or church to show off in my little way something I enjoy, that I'm good at. So, while at times I do feel limited by a small box to define who I am: wife, mom, Mormon, homeschooler, baker, reader, etc. Sometimes it feels like an introduction to get to know me better.

1 comment:

wendys said...

I totally get that. A friend of mine asked another lady, "what do you do.. I mean what does your husband do??" And I have wondered why in the world did she correct herself? Why didn't she ask a pertinent question about this lady's individuality? Work parties can be the worst.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...