"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

My Top 2012 Reads

Looking over the books I read in 2012, I feel like maybe I didn't really challenge myself.  BUT, in my defense, I was pregnant or caring for a newborn for the entire year, so... in no particular order, these were the favorites of the 58 books I read in 2012.

The Future of Us by Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler
warnings: slight language, minor talk of sex, mild drinking


Ditched: A Love Story by Robin Mellom
warnings: slight language, mild talk of sex and anatomies, minor teen drinking and drugs
A review from a fellow reviewer is here.


Bel Canto by Ann Patchett
warnings: a few f-words, one sex scene
Holes by Louis Sachar

Not necessarily this book, but I love this series.  If there wasn't boy/girl chemistry going on, I would let my ten year old read them.  I just don't want to encourage her to be boy crazy this early.

Marcelo and the Real World by Francisco X. Stork
warnings: bad language including more than a handful of the f-word, crude sexual talk (not from the main character)
A fellow reviewers review here.

Stuff Compulsive Hoarding and the Meaning of Things by Randy Frost and Gail Steketee


Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler Illustrated by Maira Kalman
warnings: lots of bad language, teen sex, teen drinking
My full review is here.

Don't Mess With Travis by Bob Smiley

Curveball: The Year I Lost my Grip by Jordan Sonnenblick
warnings: underage drinking



Honorable Mentions:

Your Left-handed Child by Lauren Milsom
Super fascinating, but maybe not unless you are trying to raise a left-handed kid and you are right-handed.

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
Warnings: this book is intriguing and crazy but also full of language and horrible sexual descriptions.  See my full review here.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...