"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Saturday, December 01, 2012

Work

In applying for a job for Jed, I came across an online faculty position for a Beginning Writing course that only requires a bachelor's degree.  I'm qualified!  This could be fun.  Why not!  Then I started trying to fill out the application.  Besides the fact that I haven't done *anything* in the past 11 years, even 11 years ago, my resume was pathetic.  Actually, I've never had a resume.  And as I'm worrying about how I'm going to pad a resume and what aspects of my current life qualify me (Relief Society teacher, CEO of several book clubs, book club discussion leader, homeschooling mom, blogger) I come across the spot where I have to list my past four jobs.  Hmm... I'm not sure I've had four jobs (that don't include cat sitter).  And three references (who?)  Leaving my comfort zone ... now.


[I'm always wondering what I actually do that could earn me money.  I don't want to babysit or do daycare.  But it would be cool to earn some extra money.  Basically, what I've come up with in the past is that it would be awesome if people paid me to bake desserts for them.  Either for their own enjoyment or for them when they are asked to bring something somewhere.  But nothing so serious as a catering gig.  I'm not that good.  Just delicious desserts to impress their friends with.  Wouldn't that be awesome!]

1 comment:

julie said...

Nancy,
I work for Tutor.com, which is an online tutoring service. I set my own hours, tutor as little or as much as I want (it's always very little), and get paid direct deposit. I've done it for the past 2.5 years, and it's great! I tutor in the subjects of English, Essay Writing, and Career Help (which is basially resume help). You could do any of those subjects, and probably more! The way that you qualify to teach is you take tests online, and if you pass them, then you are good to go. You have a mentor who gives you feedback and helps you out when you need to. It's really a good company, and you feel like you're using your degree and making a little extra money. Plus it gives you one more thing to build up your resume!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...