"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Sandy Hook

I'm with the rest of the country/world in how much reading the reports of this horrible tragedy kept me in tears.  I don't want to get into the politics of gun control or anything else.  I don't really want to think about the possibility of something this horrific happening, even though it has.  I just want to comment on one thing.

One of my Facebook friends wrote about how they explained what happened to their children (aged 12 and 10 are my age guesses) and the boys were unfazed.  My friend then talked about how they think and play too much violence so that real violence doesn't register with them.  And then this friend wondered when they will grow out of this.  They won't!  That's the point.  I agree that kids might not completely understand what happened.  They also might be keeping their feelings and reactions inside, not sure how to express them.  But being accustomed to violence in games and movies leaves you accustomed to violence in real life and that's not something I ever want myself or my children to become accustomed too.  I can't express to you how many times in the past years we've had to remind our kids that we aren't playing "killing" or "now your dead."  And we own a Game Cube as our only video game and the most violent games have exploding Lego people.

1 comment:

Alanna said...

Agreed. I really detest video games, mostly because my whole family gets really addicted to things (everything from baseball to Phantom of the Opera) and I just know that if I ever let myself really play video games, I'd probably never stop. Even the non-violent ones. So I just steer clear of all of them. Luckily for me, Craig is one of the few guys in the world who just isn't interested in them at all, so we get along swimmingly in that regard! But the violent ones especially I find very frightening...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...