"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Monday, December 03, 2012

Letters

I'm a little old fashioned in that I love mail.  Writing letters, sending letters, etc.  I don't get to do it much anymore, but I do try to make a point of writing thank you cards and sending them off on their way.

I also LOVE creating Christmas letters.  Not the super fabulous, Pinterest worthy, Photo shop Christmas cards, but just creative ideas for conveying the events in the past year of our lives.  I started writing my family's Christmas letter each year when I was about twelve and it wasn't until a couple years ago that my mom took back that responsibility.  I created a family newsletter that we stuck with for several Christmases.  And the occasional New Year's or Valentine's day.  I even tried to have a monthly family newsletter to keep my family up to date on the current events in one another's lives.  That didn't go over well since at the time, Jed and I were new parents and we were all living in the same town.  We now live thousands of miles away, but the rest of my family is still right there, sending their kids to the same school, etc. And I think only my parents and Jed's parents actually read our family's blog.

So I love Christmas letters, but I haven't really done anything super creative in the past few years since Jed's been back in school.  Mostly we've done e-cards or emails.  This year is no different, although I did order a few actual physical prints of our new family picture (thanks, Emma) to mail to those people on our Christmas list that would prefer a physical card (eg: Jed's grandparents). 

I'm storing up my creative juices so when the year comes when I do want to drop $50+ on stamps and printed letters and pictures, it's going to be awesome.  But at least I get to enjoy the time of year when awesome stuff arrives in the mail almost daily.  Between gifts we've ordered, those arriving from family and Christmas cards, every mail call is exciting!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...