"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Baby Names

Jed and I are private people.  Private about stuff that of course you should be private about (testimony meeting at church often makes me uncomfortable because people are telling me stuff that they shouldn't be telling strangers, let alone from the pulpit).  But I'm finding that we are private about stuff that a lot of people don't feel the need to be private about.  Those people make me feel awkward for them too.  Anyway, we typically don't announce our baby's name until he/she is born.  I believe with Princess Sparkley, I announced her name at my baby shower.  With Buddy and then Little Guy, no one knew their names until we called to let family know they had been born.  This baby has presented a whole new situation in which Jed felt we needed to lay claim to the name before we had a nephew born (a few weeks before my due date) to a family that uses Biblical names.  (There's a clue for you, our name is Biblical.)  So, our families know the name.  Princess Sparkley has told some of the adult women she comes in contact with the baby's name.  I've even told a few people because I feel like I'm lying when I'm asked "do you have a name picked out yet?"  It used to be I could say, "Yeah, but we're not telling yet."  But the answer, "Yeah, but we're only telling select people" seems weird.  Usually I just direct people to ask Princess Sparkley.  Or I give in and tell them.  Or I avoid the question.  It's all strangely uncomfortable for me because I like it to be top secret until the baby is born.  It's not even that I don't want to tell people.  It's just something we were so secretive about for all our other babies that it feels strange to not be secretive this time round.  When I was pregnant with Buddy, the grandparents were constantly asking Princess Sparkley what her baby brother's name was going to be (we'd told her), but she was less than two years old, so slightly unintelligible.  At least I can't announce it here because none of our kids real names are here.  Hoorah.

5 comments:

wendys said...

I know you wont tell it but I am really curious! Names are hard. We didn't tell anyone any names we were considering with this one. And I'm glad because people make awful comments!

Alanna said...

I'm totally bugging you about it the next time I see you! I'm that obnoxious.

(Okay, not really. I noticed that you dodged the question at Delilas' and so I purposely didn't pursue it. It's possible I can keep my nose out of your business for a few more weeks... Maybe.)

Cristin said...

I don't like to tell people either because people always seem to make fun of it and ruin the name before the baby even comes.

Erin said...

Torture! This post does make people more curious! But I disagree with laying claim to names. I think that it shouldn't matter if a cousin has the same name. I mean, do you see your cousins that often? Would it be a problem if one of your cousins had the same name? I just have a personal grudge because my sister laid claim to "Isaac" and then she never had a boy. So now my son has one of the most popular names right now...

Angela said...

As long as you don't have the name embossed on the baby shower announcement you're ok in my book.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...