"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2015) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Thursday, February 09, 2012

Our 2012 Valentines


Little Guy's Valentine is the Darth Vader cookie. We used this chocolate roll-out cookie recipe (review coming soon) and Buddy's Star Wars cookie cutters.  I stole the phrase "Come to the dark side, we have cookies" from a vinyl lettered sign a friend of my sister-in-law gave to her.  I've been trying to come up with an excuse for my own such sign, but we (kids aside) aren't really that into Star Wars.  Then again, neither is my sister-in-law.  I forgot to make the kids each write their names (except for Buddy), so I had Little Guy draw on a red light saber.

Buddy loved this Swedish Fish Valentine idea, but since we homeschool, and our Valentine's Day party is with other homeschoolers, the "same school" phrase was a stretch.  My Facebook friends came through for me though with a handful of suggestions:
        Of all the fish in the sea, you're the one for me.
        Hope your Valentine's day goes swimmingly.
        You've o-fish-olly stole me heart.
        No need to fish for compliments this Valentine's Day, you ROCK!
        I'm sweed-en you!
        What a catch!
        You're Fintastic!
        You've got me Hooked!
        Best Fishes for a great Valentine's Day!
        A Swede treat for you!
        I got you a fish for Valentine's Day. And it doesn't even stink!
        Fishing for compliments? Here is one - you do swimmingly.
        Row on over to sea me some time.
        This isn't your typical fishy valentine.
        Halibut you be mine valentine? Jed came up with a Napoleon Dynamite reference "I caught you a delicious bass" and wanted to include a little drawing of Napoleon. Buddy adamantly refused.
Princess Sparkley's Valentine was supposed to look more like this, but she wanted the phrase "I've got my eye on you!" and our party grew to 40+ kids so she didn't want to write that out 40+ times.  We typed it, then we got lazy about gluing the white paper onto nice, colorful cardstock.  She fancied them up by drawing monsters or animals on some of the eyeballs and added a lollipop on back.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

They are all very cute. I especially LOVE the Darth Vader valentine. It is the perfect valentine for boys. So clever.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...