"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Monday, February 20, 2012

Mardi Gras

I had big Mardi Gras celebration plans for this year.  Well... not really, but I keep coming across Louisiana/New Orleans foods that I want to try, so I figured we'd do it in March around Mardi Gras.  Mardi Gras itself is sort of a joke to me.  At least the modern, Spring Break in Cancun-like partying that I see going on nowadays.  Go wild and party before you give up stuff for Lent, it kind of does away with the "giving up" something for Lent when you've just been partying hard.  Oh well.  My biggest problem is that I thought Mardi Gras was in March and it turns out it's tomorrow. I'm unprepared.  Not that I was going to throw beaded necklaces at passerbys, but like all holidays, I had food plans.
We were going to have red beans and rice.  And beignets.  And I was going to at least show my kids a picture of a King Cake.  I'm not really a fan eating cake, so I wasn't going to make it.  I liked the fried dough sound of beignets better.  We can probably pull off beignets with little ahead planning, but we've also been eating Girl Scout cookies all week.  That might not be the best plan.  Maybe we have been living a Mardi Gras, eat all the sweets we can, kind of lifestyle this week!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...