"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Shooting Technology in the Eye

Here's something to blog about... technology.  I have a love/hate relationship with it.
Our cell phones are currently several years old.  Our contract lapsed and we could renew and get new phones and everything would be great, right?  Wrong.  We're simple people.  While it would be nice to access the internet with something I carry in my pocket, I don't need to.  And I sort of don't want to.  I'm already a little annoyed at myself and my family by how much time we spend on the internet just because of laptops and wireless internet.  I don't need that in my pocket or purse, distracting me everywhere I go. 
That being said, there are no "free phone" options (or even any phone options that I can find) available that don't require I also pay X amount each month for a data plan.  I don't want a data plan.  I just want a new phone.  I want to make phone calls, send and receive texts, take pictures, and listen to music.  That's it.  When we talked to the T-Mobile kiosk at the mall a few months ago, they guy actually laughed at our phones because they require we push the number 2 three times in order to text the letter C.  But it works for us.  We're a low technology people.  Argh!

And now we can't listen to music on our phones because our music service was bought out by another music service and it is no longer compatible with our phones.  It doesn't appear to be compatible with any phones that aren't web friendly.
Argh.

5 comments:

Alanna said...

I'm in a similar boat. Mostly all I want is a phone that works really well AS A PHONE. My phone only works about every other call. On the bad calls, I can hear every third word that you say to me, which is just enough to not really have any idea what it is that you're saying. So then I have to call the person back (and assume that while I'm trying to explain this to them, they're probably only hearing every third word, too!). It's incredibly frustrating.

Unfortunately, all the phones available do all this amazing stuff, but also don't seem to work as phones. The only person I know whose phone works consistently is Craig and his iPhone. I don't need most of the things an iPhone can do, but I sure do want to be able to hear what people are saying to me when I call them!

So I'm thinking I'll get one just for that. Even though it's completely overkill in my case. (Now the question is, do I spring for the iPhone 4s just to annoy Craig that mine would be nicer than his...? Probably not. But it's fun to think about!)

I often think that I would gladly just take back the first cell phone I ever had! It didn't do much, but the battery lasted forever and it could find a signal anywhere! AND it had a nice ring tone!

delilas said...

OH MY!!! what a dilemma we are in?? I don't want to get a new phone because of all the reason's you just mentioned. I love things as long as they work right but if they don't, GGGRRRRR I become a crazy woman!

I feel your pain!!

Erin said...

we were in a similar situation. We ended up getting iphones through at&t because they were only 99cents. But the data plan will kill us. we didn't get texting, because I can just email from the phone. close enough imo. you could look at other providers. I know that verizon does have some free ones that don't require a data plan.

wendys said...

My husband got a hand-me-down smart phone from his brother. We don't pay for data plans because everywhere you go there is WiFi access, including our house. My phone is just a 20 dollar walmart phone that I put my sim card into. I haven't had any problem with it at all. I only have to charge it once a week for a short time. PS we have Tmobile. Just don't tell them you have a smart phone and you don't have to pay for a data plan.

Angie said...

We went to Verizon the other day to upgrade because we could and James' phone broke. The guy asked us what we wanted our phones to do and James said, "Uh, make phone calls?" The guy looked at him like we were crazy. Then he went in the back and dusted of some "feature phones." He kept calling them "feature phones" with a distasteful look on his face. Then we proceeded to pay $40 each for these crappy phones that are worse than the ones we had before. The guy told us, they are trying to phase out feature phones. Then he gave us an extra little discount which he said was because we have a new baby. I guess he figured we must really be hurting if we all we can afford is a "feature phone."

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...