"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Reading Goal

Goodreads asked people to set reading goals for 2011.  I decided on 75 books, a number I'd never reached but to which I had come fairly close. I far surpassed that goal, as well as my individual goal of pages read (I'm over 30,000 pages which is about 7,000 pages more than I've ever managed in a year before).  And I'm at 97 books.  97!  I should go for 100, right?  The kids and I are finishing up Peter and Starcatchers with only about 26 pages to go.  That's 98.  Then I'll read them this quick chapter book (we've read the other two in the series in the past).  99. Here's my problem, book 100.  I'm reading The Elegance of the Hedgehog and it's killing me.  K-I-L-L-I-N-G M-E.  The premise is nice, but I seriously feel like this book is WAY above my reading level.  I keep wishing I was reading it on the Kindle where it's easy to look up the definitions of words I don't understand.  Plus, the book is set in France and was translated from French so there are a lot of French words.  I took Spanish in high school and college.  Add that the two main characters are supposedly brilliant thinkers and I'm lost.  I get the plot, and so far that's pretty boring.  But I have to finish!  One hundred books is in my sight...

3 comments:

Alanna said...

I have read so few books this year it's not even funny. I've started a bunch that I didn't bother to finish-- ever since I realized that I wasn't in college and none of my reading was required, if I'm not enjoying a book, I simply start reading blogs obsessively until I officially give up on the book by returning it to the library. But it makes me sad when I have so few reviews to add to goodreads!

I don't have any point to this comment. Except perhaps to say, "Do it! Read those 100 books! Read them for me!" ;P

wendys said...

Keep going!

Erin said...

Elegance of a Hedgehog is a bit boring and depressing which makes it hard to get through. I didn't love it but I did love the characters.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...