"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Thursday, November 03, 2011

PMS

Sorry, guys, if there are any of you out there that happen upon this post.  I made the title straightforward so you can consider yourself warned.

I've never given much stock to PMS.  Mainly, I took offense and immediately disliked any person, male or female, who blamed anything on it.  Males because it's just offensive and I'm partially a feminist.  Females because it seemed like blaming something because you're female.  And like I said, I'm part feminist.

I'm not sure I've blogged this before, but I know I've thought it hundreds of times.  I think everyone needs counseling, pschiatric help, a therapist, perhaps a life coach, whatever you want to call it.  We all have problems and we all need help.  I started wondering recently if the times when I feel the most like I myself could benefit from some sort of therapy coincide when I am also experiencing PMS.  If any of my calendar keeping episodes of the past had ever worked out, I'd consider keeping track.  But I tried to keep track of headaches and if they were associated with what I'd eaten or done, among other things.  The longest this lasts is half a day.  So, it doesn't look promising that I'll ever figure this out.
But... I do wish I could go back in time and monitor crazy things I've done in my life or super insecure moments of not only my adolescence, but my adulthood, and see if I was PMSing then as well.  For instance, there was a time in 10th grade when Jed and I were in a fight (he and I had "gone out" but weren't currently) when he said something along the lines of, "if you want me to leave you alone, I will" and I said something like, "yeah, whatever" and we didn't speak for a year.  I for sure don't know what that was all about, or why I wanted him out of my life for a year.  But I know a year later I was desperate to get him back.  Looking back, I'd very much like to blame that on PMS.

4 comments:

The Man Your Husband Is Worried About said...

You were desperate to get me back because I'm so SEXXY!

Jill said...

Ewww.... to the above. I think it is different for everyone, but I am very careful not to do anything rash at the start of the month because it has happened before. I'm not mean, just crazy but I recognize it so I can keep it all in my head

Erik said...

I think you didnt want him for a year because he is a total Dirt bad....;o)

julie said...

I can totally relate to this post, 100%! It made me smile. I don't know why I have such violent mood swings, where I can be so happy one day, and then utterly depressed the next. I don't remember being like this when I was younger, except for maybe in Jr. High. I think motherhood is partly to blame. But maybe it's plain old pms!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...