"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Friday, November 11, 2011

NaNoWriMo

I'm participating in National Novel Writing Month right now.  I always have ideas for stories and Jed challenged me (possibly last year as a New Year's Resolution) to complete one of my story ideas, so I thought I'd work on one of my most promising ideas that is possibly ten years in the making.  Anyway, in working on this, I found myself spending a bunch of time online today researching tattoos.  I don't have any tattoos.  I have no plans to ever get a tattoo, but there are some cool tattoos out there.  A few years ago Jed asked me what type of tattoo I'd get if I ever got a tattoo and I answered him immediately.  I think I shocked him a little.  Not only did I have an answer for him, I had it for him without pause.  (For those of you who are curious, I would get a tattoo of this Charles Rennie Mackintosh rose.  For those of you who know me, you might recognize it because I own a version of this necklace.) 

Sitting around in college chatting with friends and roommates about what our vices would be if we weren't LDS, I could never come up with a definite thing.  One friend was convinced she'd be a chain smoker.  I always figured I'd probably be a drunk based on a childhood of sipping apple juice out of champagne flutes.  But now, now I realize I'd probably be covered in thousands of dollars worth of tattoos. 

And what does all of this have to do with National Novel Writing Month.  Nothing and everything.  But mainly, it's a great form of procrastination.  Both the researching of tattoos and the blogging about said research and obsession.

P.S.  What tattoo would/will/did you get?  And/Or, what would be your vice?

6 comments:

wendys said...

Tattoos involve needles. I don't think so. Right after graduation my friend got a purple butterfly. I am guessing she will eventually regret that, it's not going to look cute forever!

Andrea said...

I saw a white ink tattoo on pinterest the other day and decided that if I were to ever get one then it would be an inspirational word(s) in white ink. Probably on my forearm. But I'm a wimp and don't think I could handle the actual tattooing part.

benniegirl said...

My impulse response for vices would be drinking. I wouldn't have been so tempted before kids but post-motherhood, I would love to take a drink that could instantly relax me and maybe even take my mind on a mini vacation in spite of the fact that 3 kids are having concurrent breakdowns. The logical part of me though has seen too many lives damaged from alcohol to actually enjoy that so I guess my next response would be piercings. I had my tongue pierced and 2 holes in each ear during the conference that Gordon B. Hinckley set forth the piercing guidelines. If I didn't believe in his words, I would have held onto those piercings.

Alanna said...

Drugs. Probably a lot of drugs. And if I ever drank, I am quite certain I would be a mean drunk.

If I got a tattoo, it would be small and somewhere easy to hide. Maybe an orca?

Angela said...

Well I had a dream the other night that ingot a tattoo of a donut on my shoulder, I actually thought would be kind of funny. Before that I thought it would be fun to get a little ladybug or something similar on the bottom of my big toe. In all actuality I think really I would like to get my makeup tattooed on my face like princess Diana. Also definitely not chain smoker anymore, I'm pretty sure I would love sipping margaritas in a tropical setting. And wearing immodest clothing, not slutty, but not covered from neck to knee.

Shannon said...

I despise needles and have to be sitting down when I get a shot and usually laying down if blood is taken, but I would get a tattoo on my ring finger (a ring design).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...