"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Christmas Countdown

I like countdowns and decided that this year our family needed a countdown that was doing fun stuff together throughout December.  I looked around on Pinterest and using   this and this, came up with our new countdown.






 I spent under $5 on this. The board was from Lowe's for $3 something. The clothespins were a dollar (I think) from Walmart. I borrowed the red paint, owned the green paint and used scrapbook paper, fabric, and Modge Podge to make the white, red Ho Ho Ho, and light green clothespins. The Santa clothespin for the 25 is a magnet I've owned forever but the magnet is too weak to hold anything up. The snowmen on each end are ornaments but we own A LOT of ornaments, so I cut a strip of the red fabric and made a new scarf for one of them and hot glued them on.  The numbers are from here and here.  This year I just let the kids color them.  Next year, I'll get them printed all pretty.

And here's what we're going to do each day (not in order).  Click to view larger.

6 comments:

wendys said...

That is a fun idea. I need a countdown too!

The Man Your Husband Is Worried About said...

I'd say you can't just say the stuff you already owned (paper, computer ink, green paint, Modge Podge) cost zero, since they were things you spent money on, and the red paint used some of your store of social capital you developed with your friends. But you used so little of them that the cost was very low. I'd estimate the true cost as around $7.

You also forgot to count your husband's time to hang that on the wall. That took, like, $75 of labor.

EmmaJ said...

Way cute! I'm stealing a couple of your activity ideas to add some fresh stuff to ours. We can just say it is a fair trade for the paint and that way no social capital was used. :)

Alanna said...

I'm going to go ahead and admit my utter dorkiness: when I saw that one of the activities was baking for HT/VT people, and I realized that that might just include me, I got really excited.

Kristi said...

Very cute. I'd love to make something like this.

Erin said...

love all your christmas activity ideas! I got my kids the Star Wars lego advent calendar since we didn't have any of our usual count down calendars here. They are loving it, but Ethan especially.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...