"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Monday, September 12, 2011

9/11

Ten years ago yesterday, Jed and I were newlyweds living in an apartment down the street from his work at City Hall. This meant that he slept until about 7:45AM and then hurried to dress and run out the door to make it to work by 8AM.  We were asleep when the airplanes hit the towers in New York.  It wasn't until my mom called, waking us up to tell us the news, that we ran to the TV.  I spent the next days, weeks, months watching the news.  Between that terrorist attack and Elizabeth Smart's kidnapping nine months later, I watched more news than any other time in my life. It was an addiction.

At the time were weren't parents, but I remember reading articles about how parents should talk to their kids about September 11th. Jed and I sort of steered clear of the subject with our kids for several years.  At first we'd come across it in nonfiction books about emergency vehicles or skyscrapers that Buddy would check out from the library.  We started by just saying that some airplanes had crashed into a skyscraper and a lot of people had died as a result.  This slowly, but without drawing attention to the terror aspect of it, turned into explaining that some bad guys did it on purpose.  Just last week the kids asked about the one plane that crashed in Pennsylvania, asking why it just crashed into land and I found myself completely choked up and overwhelmed with the heroics of the passengers as I tried to explain that those people knew what was going on with the other planes, and fought the bad guys so they couldn't crash into another building and kill more people. 

I was a little surprised when my 7 year old came home from church yesterday (September 11th) and said the teacher had asked them if they knew why the day was special.  Only he and one other boy knew, and the other boy knew because his dad works in the Pentagon.  I sort of wish my kids were enrolled in public school so I could get a glimpse of the textbooks that teach this aspect of American history.  It's the largest piece of history in my lifetime, and I have no idea how future generations are being taught about it, except for what I teach my own kids.  I hope we're doing okay...

2 comments:

benniegirl said...

you are doing amazing! i teach primary to 10 year-olds and we were supposed to have this moment of silence and we talked about it beforehand and they knew some things but your son knows even more. we've tried both public schooling and homeschooling with our own children. no matter which path we take, i think it's still up to parents to teach their kids everything that truly matters in every subject. i truly believe that. i love to read your blog because i think you do such an amazing job with your kids! thanks for sharing this.

Nance said...

thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...