"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2015) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Social Butterfly I Am Not

Growing up I can remember my mom describing my older sister as a social butterfly.  That was an appealing image to a little girl like me whose favorite word was glitter.  A social butterfly sounded pretty.  Besides, I spent most of recess time in preschool flapping my arms around being a butterfly.  But when it comes down to it, and when I'm mature enough to face the truth and be who I am, I am not a social butterfly.  Not even close.  I don't hate people.  But, given the choice, I'd much rather curl up with a book or a movie than be forced into a social situation.  Still.  I don't mind socializing with people I'm already comfortable around, but throw me into a crowded room at a party and I'm likely to retreat.  A cabin in the woods for a week with just my family, nature and some enormous stacks of books sounds like a dream vacation.  A cruise sounds like a nightmare to me.  Forced socialization, although with everyone being the newbie, maybe it wouldn't be so horrible.  Maybe.

Just some random thoughts.

1 comment:

EmmaJ said...

Here, I describe your cruise, because you don't have to socialize. You sitting by the pool for a week with a big stack of books while Jed plays in the pools with the kids. And you eat all week at the wonderful restaurants on the ship (but not the dinning room because then you will be forced to socialize with others).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...