"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Don't Dress Your Little Girls Like Tramps

This is an excellent article, unfortunately, I'm afraid the parents who need to read it, won't even stop to think for a moment it applies to them, if they see it at all.

Parents, don't dress your girls like tramps  By LZ Granderson, CNN Contributor 

 

I love this part: 

I don't care how popular Lil' Wayne is, my son knows I would break both of his legs long before I would allow him to walk out of the house with his pants falling off his butt. Such a stance doesn't always makes me popular -- and the house does get tense from time to time -- but I'm his father, not his friend.
Friends bow to peer pressure. Parents say, "No, and that's the end of it."
The way I see it, my son can go to therapy later if my strict rules have scarred him. But I have peace knowing he'll be able to afford therapy as an adult because I didn't allow him to wear or do whatever he wanted as a kid.

5 comments:

LisAway said...

I loved that part too.

Kate said...

love love love that article. It makes me all the more grateful for the standards that are set for us from the beginning. When I was a teen, I didn't take them as seriously as I should have and now, as a mother, I'm all the more grateful they are there!!!!!

Thanks for sharing :)

Kate said...

ha...just re-read my comment after posting (I should proofread before I post...obviously).

"This is the department of redundancy department."

EmmaJ said...

awesome! I love the section you quoted and the whole article. But I really like that you used the title for you title- wise words.

wendys said...

Amen. No catch phrases on my girl's sweat panted butt.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...