"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

15 Things

I'm not sure what I think about this article, entitled "Fifteen spots every kid should see before turning 15."  We're a traveling family.  But at the same time, I don't feel that to be a successful parent, I need to fly my kids all over the country to see the exact things on this list.  Especially when I'm not sure I ever want to fly on an airplane ever again the way airport security has gone.

Here's the list:
Grand Canyon (Ariz.)

Redwood National Park (Calif.)

Monticello (Va.)

The Freedom Trail (Mass.)

Niagara Falls (N.Y.)

The National Mall (D.C.)

Colonial Williamsburg (Va.)

Walt Disney World Resort (Fla.)

Independence Hall (Penn.)

Alcatraz Island (Calif.)

Ellis Island (N.Y.)

Yellowstone National Park (Wyo., Mont., and Idaho)

Fenway Park (Mass.)

Craters of the Moon National Monument & Preserve (Idaho)

San Diego Zoo (Calif)


I had been to 7 of the fifteen before I was fifteen (but barely, it was a month before my birthday when I flew east from California for the first time in my life, went to the National Mall, Fenway Park (because we're big Red Sox fans), Independence Hall and the Freedom Trail.  I can make that 8 if I substitute Disneyland for Disney World.  The only new thing I can cross of, as an adult, is Colonial Williamsburg, and I've revisited a lot of the places on the list as an adult.  These are great places, I hope I get to visit them with my family, but I hate anything that makes a parent feel like they need to spend thousands of dollars flying their kids across the country on vacations that, for the most part, the kid will be totally bored with at the time.

3 comments:

Erin said...

Well I am definitely a failure of a parent and my parents were too!

wendys said...

I think disneyworld should be taken off the list!!!

We have taken our kids to San Diego Zoo, Craters of the Moon and Yellowstone.

EmmaJ said...

Cool list. I had been to 10 by the time I graduated high school and have only added one more to that list since them.
I had never heard of Craters of the Moon National Monument & Preserve though. But I have been to a crater in Oregon where the astronauts practiced for their missions to the moon before the first flight up there.
Also, Crater Monticello should be off (Cool house but nothing special) and Crater Lake should be on.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...