"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Tuesday, January 04, 2011

My Top Ten Favorite Books of 2010

In no particular order, these are my ten favorite books I read this year.









 





Heist Society by Ally Carter
A teenage girl who is part of a family who pulls off incredible heists or artwork, etc.



 










A Girl From Yamhill by Beverly Cleary
Part one of Beverly Cleary's autobiography. 













Lay That Trumpet in Our Hands by Susan Carol McCarthy
A family in the middle of race conflict in Florida.













The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley
A mystery solved by an insightful little girl/chemist.












The Help by Kathryn Stocket
 "The help" being the maids cooking the meals and raising the kids of the upper class families in a southern town.  This is their story told from three point of views... to maids, and one white woman who is their friend.













Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford
 A boy (Chinese) and a girl (Japanese) have a friendship that turns to love but the girl is whisked out of Seattle and into an internment camp during the panic of World War II.

 










The Wednesday Wars by Gary D. Schmidt
A teenage boy, his dysfunctional family, and the teacher who he thinks hates him.  This made me think of a period of history that I've never really paid attention to before.














Chains (#1)by Laurie Halse Anderson
A slave girl's story during the American Revolution in New York.


 






 



Forge (#2) by Laurie Halse Anderson

 Part two, told from Curzon's point of view as he joins the army at Valley Forge.












Impossible by Nancy Werlin

Not my typical book.  This is a YA, fantasy, love story.  I was really impressed by the crazy idea and how Werlin pulled it off.

3 comments:

wendys said...

I will have to add some to my to-read list.

julie said...

I've read five of those, and I thought they were all fantastic too. I'll have to check out those other books soon. I love your reading lists!

Leigh Anne Wilkes said...

Thanks for sharing your top reads. I too enjoyed several of them! Here's to a lot of goods reads in 2011!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...