"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Monday, December 06, 2010

Grocery Store Baggers

Why don't grocery stores train their clerks on how to pack a grocery bag anymore?  I use reusable bags most of the time and I understand that this is against the norm for how an employee might be trained, but they should have some training.  Usually I get some lady who is barely putting anything in my bag for fear it will be too heavy.  Today I got a guy (wearing a new member tag, so I'll try to be nice) who packed the following into ONE bag:
  • a 5 lb. bag of potatoes
  • a 5 lb. bag of sugar
  • 2 5 lb. bags of flour
  • a giant can of stewed tomatoes
  • the giant tub of sour cream
  • the giant tub of cottage cheese
  • plus some other random stuff like a bunch of bananas

So I weighed the bag when I got home:  33 pounds!  That's heavier than my youngest child!

While I'm on the subject, I should also mention that while I'm all for helping the environment, the two biggest factors in me using reusable grocery bags are:
  • not having the under the sink cupboard overflowing with plastic bags from grocery stores
  • not having stores (especially Walmart!) pack approximately one item into each plastic bag so I bring home 20 items and 15 plastic bags.  It's like the store didn't train them, so they figure one item per bag is pretty safe.



3 comments:

The Man Your Husband Is Worried About said...

When I was a grocery store bagger, we had to watch an instructional video and pass a short test. (You'll remember that job as the one where you came in the store and ignored me.)

wendys said...

I use tote bags too. I hate it when I forget them and have to get the dumb plastic bags. Half the time the checkers double bag them so I am stuck with twice as many bags under my sink! Arg.

Cristin said...

Whoa. The only place I know that packs like that is Trader Joe's. I could have a whole cart and they would somehow manage to fit it into 2 bags.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...