"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Becoming People

It's always fascinating to me when my kids know something I don't know.  Or show an interest in something that neither Jed or I really show an interest in.  They are becoming their own people.  And it's cool.

Jed mentioned this the other day in connection to Princess Sparkley's LOVE of all things Christmas, but especially Christmas music.  Jed and I aren't over the top holiday people.  We decorate of course, and I do really enjoy that aspect of it.  But Princess Sparkley would decorate our house 120% for every holiday, year round.  And there would be Christmas music playing nine months of the year.  She doesn't get this from us.

Buddy just assisted me in making brownies.  He cracked the egg (which he hasn't done in years because PS had convinced him it was gross) and did better than I typically do.  Then he BEGGED me to let him smooth out the batter in the pan.  He did a great job.  I think it's connected to his love for all things construction.  That pan full of brownie batter, in his mind, was freshly poured cement and it was his job to smooth it out just right.  I'm thinking of putting him in charge of all future cake frosting jobs we have around here because I know I can't do it.

Princess Sparkley is also our expert on both American presidents and first ladies.  It's something she was interested in after we found these kids' books: Smart About the First Ladies and Smart About the Presidents.  Now she's an expert.  There's stuff that comes up in conversations that Jed and I have either forgotten, or never known, about presidents, first ladies and their families, that PS totally knows!

And Buddy is our expert on all things train and tractor.  He requested a stop piece for his train tracks for Christmas.  I was having a hard time finding one online.  I called him over to the computer and asked him what the official name for it was.  It's a train buffer stop.  I never would have come up with that on my own.

They are their own people, with their own interests and their own knowledge.  It's pretty incredible.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...