"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Monday, December 13, 2010

Bad Mom

At some point, and I'm not quite sure when it happened, I became one of those moms I was always horrified by when out in public.  You know, the mom who is actually yelling and disciplining and physically restraining her child in public, in a store, with dozens of eyes watching.  It isn't often.  And I don't resort to yelling like the mom I overheard in Kohl's today.  She actually made me feel like a great mom.  And I was glad Princess Sparkley overheard it all because I hope it gave her a small glimpse into how bad it could be and how good her life really is.  Mostly I resort to arm pulling and fierce whispering.  But still... it's never who I wanted to be.  My kids force it out of me.  Jed used to come back from the store with them and tell me of their adventures with none of them strapped in a stroller or shopping cart and how they'd all stayed with him and behaved so nicely.  Those are not the same kids that go shopping with me.  He experienced this Friday when he accompanied us on a trip to Sam's Club.  They demand everything.  Get in everyone's way.  Require that the sample ladies give them each their own sample.  And every time Jed slowed down to tell me something, it became I five person conversation about something completely non-kid involved... like if we needed more butter.  Or if I'd noticed something our kids might be interested in for Christmas.  And they talk.  Non-stop.  Even when we explain to them that they need to stop talking for just a minute Buddy yells out, "Ikea flags" as we drive past Ikea.  They have no internal dialogue.  Everything they think, they say.  And so that is why I've become one of those parents who grabs their kid by the upper arm, pulls them aside and is strongly whispering threats to them as I drag them from stores. 

6 comments:

wendys said...

I completely understand. Sometimes I can't stand the on going chatter!

Alanna said...

Ditto. I never thought I'd be the mom who said things like, "Could you please just stop talking for a bit?" And yes, the fierce whispering and arm-grabbing. And if Craig comes along and tries to deter my attention from the task at hand, I can turn downright rude on him. I don't think there's really any solution to this except maybe to shop at night without the kids! But I'm glad to hear I'm not alone in all this...

The Man Your Husband Is Worried About said...

Your kids sound horrible.

Malissa said...

I hear you! Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night just to enjoy a moment of silence!

LisAway said...

I could have written this post word for word.

Miss L said...

Hooray for this post!!! I feel this way with my girls ALOT; and not only that, but my oldest told me the other day that I wasn't a mean mom, I was just grumpy. Ugh! So, not only am I *that* mom in public, but at home, I'm the grumpy mom I didn't ever want to be. Oh well. There's only so much I can do.

Still. Thank you for this spot on blog entry, and the blessed "you are not alone" feeling it invoked.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...