"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Monday, November 29, 2010

Thanksgiving Holiday in Review

Our Thanksgiving was originally going to be 10 people at Jed's parents (our family of 5, the grandparents, and Jed's little brother with his wife and newborn).  Then plans changed and Jed's brother's family (with 7 kids) was coming so Jed's sister's family of four basically HAD to come since it was now a family reunion of sorts.  Twenty-three people and two bathrooms.  But we survived and had a lot of fun.

The trip started and ended with going to a state's highest point (Jed's new thing).  On the way, West Virginia.  On the way home, Pennsylvania.  And, on top of the new counties (another Jed thing) we got just coming and going, Jed went on a 10 county trip to Indiana one morning.

I finished three books (The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger, Everything is Fine by Ann Dee Ellis and This is What I Did by Ann Dee Ellis).  We did a little Christmas shopping (but none of it super early Friday morning).  I ordered my 2009 family blog Blurb book. I found a $3 copy of Gone With the Wind at a enormous used bookstore one town over.  I don't think I'll get it read by 2011 (which was my goal earlier in the year)... but now I can read it next year.

We over packed on things like socks and shoes since we almost never left Grandma's house.  And much to my kids disappointment and my joy, it didn't snow except very briefly in the middle of the night and I only know that because in the winter, I check weather.com quite frequently.

There are four girl cousins (but one is only 3 months old).  Luckily the other three are aged almost 7, 8 and almost 8.  They don't always get along, but they usually do pretty well together and this trip seemed to be mostly getting along.  Or maybe I was just left out of the not-getting-along problems.

I basically saw Buddy for an average of six minutes per day.  These minutes consisted of asking for food or drink, or needing help because he needed a bathroom badly and all the bathroom were occupied.  He spent most of his time with the older boy cousins (aged 13, almost 11, 9 1/2, and almost 9).  Buddy's 6 1/2.  They were in the basement playing the Wii.  And went he wasn't in there, he was in the Lego room (normally known as Grandma's living room.

Little Guy I saw a little more frequently than Buddy.  But not much.  He spent a lot of time in the basement exploring Jed's old toys, watching the big kids play the Wii and just messing around.  If he wasn't in the basement, he was in the Lego room.  If he wasn't in the Lego room, he was hanging out by Grandpa's train set with a boy cousin 6 months older than him with a horse obsession.  The train set features a horse coral and several small plastic horses.  Those "horses" were loud.

So, overall a fun trip.  And to wrap it all up... a photo of Grandma and Grandpa with the grandchildren.

Poor lighting.  Crappy camera.  And too many kids to get looking and smiling at once.


3 comments:

Shelby said...

I love Linus's face in this picture! Too funny!

wendys said...

Looks fun! We had a similar experience. I would go for hours without seeing my 6 1/2 yr old son because he was playing with all the cousins. It was quite restful. We did the crazy black friday shopping.

EmmaJ said...

Glad you had a great trip. I can't believe there ended up being so many people. FUN!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...