"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Monday, November 22, 2010

Social Awkwardness

Sometimes I feel like I interact with other adults so infrequently, and I don't have any close friends nearby, so whenever I get a chance to socialize with people, I find myself saying things or acting in ways totally contradictory to my normal personality.  It's as if I'm saying the first thought that comes to my mind, but because I'm in a social situation, the first thought has already gone through some sort of wacky process to make it "sound cool or clever" and later that night when I'm going over the conversation I blush at how ridiculous I must have sounded.  Argh.

4 comments:

LisAway said...

I really wish I could say I have no idea what you're talking about.

The Man Your Husband Is Worried About said...

Is this about your conversations with me? Because those are pretty awkward sometimes.

Andrea said...

You're not alone there! I kick myself all the time for saying stupid things, especially when I meet people for the first time.

Alanna said...

I'm never sure which is worse-- the times when even as I'm talking, my internal monologue is wondering what the freak it is that I'm allowing to pour out of my mouth, or the times when I think I've had a normal conversation, only to dissect later and wonder which way the person I was talking with took all that.

I do it so much I've sort of decided that if people can get over it, we're really destined to be friends! It's, um, part of my charm, right?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...