"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Friday, November 12, 2010

Reading List - 2011

I've started compiling a list of books I'd like to read next year (or some year, but hopefully next year).  Let me know what I should add to the list, and what I should take away.


The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne
Mansfield Park by Jane Austen 10/21/15

Tempest or Taming of the Shrew by William Shakespeare
Code of Woosters or Joy in the Morning or Mating Season by P.G. Wodehouse 5/31/14 Carry On, Jeeves
Mama Day by Gloria Naylor (I read this in college in LOVED it)
Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger (January book club pick) 1/8/11
Beloved by Toni Morrison
Who Moved My Cheese? by Spencer Johnson and Kenneth Blanchard  10/4/11
Harry Potter #3 by J.K. Rowling (aloud to the kids) 10/18/11
Woe is I (or maybe Woe is I Jr.) by Patricia T. O'Conner**
Peter and the Starcatchers by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson (aloud to the kids) 12/28/11
something by George Eliot**
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson* 11/6/15

Disgrace by J.M. Coetzee*
Devil in the White City by Erik Larson
Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut*  **
You Can't Go Home Again by Thomas Wolfe*   **
something by Henry James**

After reading this list, if you think I'm crazy, I don't blame you.  I think I'm crazy too.  And I'm having second thoughts.  Especially since last year's list was so much simpler and I didn't even read them all.

*Jed's picks for me
**Scare me

12/31/11 Notes: I read one chapter of Beloved in May.  I read maybe three or four of the stories in Winesburg, Ohio in September or so.  I read the first 20 pages or so of Woe is I in October.  I read the opening scene of Taming of the Shrew in October or so.  And I downloaded Mansfield Park to the Kindle. 

3 comments:

wendys said...

My husband loves Kurt Vonnegut. I did get through slaughterhouse five and survived. Have you tried any Elizabeth Gaskell or Wilkie Collins? I do like them.

wendys said...

P.S. Have you read the Road? It scared me to death but made me seriously improve my food storage.

Alanna said...

This will be admitting a certain amount of weirdness on my part, but I actually really like Slaughterhouse 5. It's bizarre, but oddly cool.

Beloved is one of the most painful and yet beautiful books I have ever read.

Don't read Devil in the White City on your honeymoon. It will make you question just how well you know the guy you just married.

Franny and Zooey is one of my favorite books. I'm excited to get to discuss it at book club! And have a good excuse to read it again!

Good luck with the Henry James. I tried reading something by him a while ago, and realized that I was only 20 pages into it, had absolutely NO idea what was going on, and couldn't get through a single sentence without being interrupted by my kids. So I decided that now was not the time for Henry James. Maybe when my kids are in school or something...

Good for you for setting reading goals for yourself! I should think about doing something like that...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...