"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Thursday, November 04, 2010

Lazy But Responsible

The other day Princess Sparkley asked me if I could have any job at church, what would it be. You see, recently Jed and I were released from our assignment to help plan church activities. After the fact, PS informed me that she had forgotten to raise her hand and say, “no, she did not agree with this decision.” She LOVED that us helping plan and set-up for church parties meant that she also got to help plan and set up for church parties. But back to her question... what church job would I want. And honestly, what first came to my mind was “none of them.” I'm a lazy person. If I didn't feel a duty and a responsibility to be productive and contributing, I wouldn't be. But more to the point, I wouldn't chose any calling, but the assignment I'm asked to do, I'll do because it's where the Lord needs to me to working at that point in time. And I have faith that no matter how completely unqualified I feel I am for the calling, I'll accept it.*


*This doesn't mean I want any new, big callings.  It just means that I've been given difficult assignments before and I've managed.  And I'll be given difficult assignments again (in the very distant future) and I'll manage.


4 comments:

Alanna said...

I couldn't agree more. But I do think the callings that would be easier (at least, for me) include: R.S. teacher (you only have to do it once a month! AND no extra meetings!), R.S. chorister (especially if the pianist is choosing the hymns!), and hymn book passer-outer. But I doubt I'm that lucky!

Cristin said...

About a month ago, I got released from serving with the Young Women for the last 3 1/2 years and they haven't given me a new calling yet. At first I was disappointed, but now I REALLY LIKE not having a calling. I feel spoiled.

wendys said...

I don't think I would ever do activities. I would refuse to do a halloween activity and refuse to have santa at a christmas party.

EmmaJ said...

Here, Here!
Also, I think 'dream' callings depend on the ward you have.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...