"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Monday, November 22, 2010

Decorating for Christmas

I'm a firm believer in Christmas not happening until after Thanksgiving is over (except for where Christmas shopping is involved).  I think it's part tradition from my childhood and part not wanting to skip Thanksgiving.  Growing up, we couldn't play Christmas songs until after Thanksgiving.  If we were lucky, my dad would let us play them Thanksgiving night, once the Thanksgiving festivities had ended.  And we never put the tree up anywhere near Thanksgiving time.  This was probably because we got a real tree from a Christmas tree farm (not a grocery store lot) every year when I was little.  We waited until mid December, not wanting it to die before Christmas arrived.

Last year, because I have persistent, holiday-crazy kids (we like to joke that Princess Sparkley is going to grow up to be one of those old ladies who wears holiday sweaters*) we decorated for Christmas the day after Thanksgiving.  This year... we've gone crazy.  We started decorating for Christmas yesterday.  Yep, almost a week before Thanksgiving.  If we keep this up, in a few years we'll be decorated for the start of school in September.  But this year, I think I mainly gave in because we'll be gone for Thanksgiving and I'm hosting book club at my house on December 2nd.  I didn't foresee a lot of time to decorate for December between now and then.

We tried to decorate our little tree tonight (which is an upgrade we made last year from our tiny tree) but our tree light strand is dead.  Once the kids were in bed I finished sewing my Christmas bunting and hung it where last year we hung lights.  So I moved the lights to the front windows.  Except between our two front windows is a front door.  And our light strand it LONG.  So I sort of draped it above the door.  I asked Jed what he thought.  His response, after a pause: "The kids are going to love it."  Me: "It's not that bad, is it?"  Pause.  Jed: "The kids are really going to love it."

It's not that bad.  Is it?  Maybe I'm just used to too many college apartments "decorated" with Christmas lights.

My new Christmas bunting.

*No offense to any old ladies (or young ladies) who wear holiday sweaters.




4 comments:

delilas said...

I have a Christmas sweater that I will donate to PS to help get her started, oh wait I still wear it. Love your bunting.

EmmaJ said...

I'm glad I'm not the only person decorating early. I started last week, but mainly because I had projects for Christmas I was working on and I wanted to put them up as soon as they were done. I love decorating for Christmas.

Andrea said...

I've been dying to pull out our Christmas boxes but we have that silly not before Thanksgiving tradition. I think I need to re-think it!

wendys said...

I decorated yesterday! hip hip hooray.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...