"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Books - 2010

From here, comes my to read in 2010 list*. 

Here's how it looks now that the year is ending:
  • Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen 12/16/10
  • The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald 11/6/10
  • The Double Bind by Chris Bohjalian 11/8/10
  • The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway 10/28/10
  • First Among Sequels by Jasper Fforde
  • Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell by Susanna Clarke
  • Animal Dreams by Barbara Kingsolver3/16/2010
  • A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini 4/7/10
  • Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
  • Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger 11/25/10
  • Freakonomics by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner
*I should point out that this isn't all the books I've read this year... that list comes later.  This is the list of books I wanted to make an effort to read this year.


I've started Northanger Abbey.   Although I've started it twice this year.  I'm going to finish it this time.

Jed read First Among Sequels and I'm even more turned off on it than I was a few years ago when I started it and got bored.  So I'm passing on it.


Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell is 800+ pages!!!  And I just remembered this list a couple weeks ago.  It's going to my "read someday" list.


Gone With the Wind is also 800+ pages.  I owned a copy that it turns out I sold to a used bookstore since it was sort of beat up (I think I originally bought it at a used bookstore).  I had forgotten that it was on my list of books to read this year.  And it's checked out at all my local libraries.  So this is going on hold.

I'll read Catcher in the Rye, it's actually one of the books my book club is reading for January (the other is Salinger's Franny and Zooey).

I've pulled Freakonomics from the shelf.  It's nonfiction.  I plan to read it.  We'll see if it happens.



2 comments:

wendys said...

I think that list is funny, because I know from goodreads you have read 5x that amount of books this year! I think its a great idea to try and be a more well rounded reader... I try a nonfiction book occasionally.

Alanna said...

What did you think of Animal Dreams? That's one of my favorites my Kingsolver. She's a funny author, because I love her writing style, but her politics can drive me crazy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...