"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Book Covers

I pick what I'm going to read based on the cover of the book... often.  That being said, I'm also very disappointed when I get to the end of the book and discover that the cover art is inconsistent with the plot of the book.  It seems to me that this happens a lot, but right now, I can only think of the two recent books I read to which this applies.



The Double Bind by Chris Bohjalian (a pretty good book with a shocking ending but fairly descriptive depictions of a sexual assault including very harsh language).

A key part of the plot of The Double Bind is that the main character was attacked while riding her bike on a long road in a forest.  She comes across a photograph of a girl on a bike on this road.  The photograph has to be of her.  But the picture on the cover is a girl dressed like a business woman, riding a bike through the city, which  is possible except that after the attack she gave up bike riding.  It's a great cover, it just doesn't flow with the plot of the book.




The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams

This book is about a girl in a polygamist cult who complains several times throughout the book about how tightly her braid is braided.  She also makes a trip into town two different times and comments about how she would never wear clothing that showed off her body/skin like the girls she sees in town.  So while this is an intriguing book cover that made me want to read the book, it doesn't fit with the plot of the book unless I'm supposed to figure that this is a picture representation of how she feels on the inside, or something.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

They both sound like books that I'd want to read so thanks for the recommendations (even though the covers don't match the plot!!).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...