"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Updates

I've added some comments to the apple recipes I had marked to try now that I've tried them here.

And here's my book pile update:
The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet*  -  Loved it! Great father/son story.  Great historical story.  Great unrequited love story.


Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy   - a little slow at times, but I ended up really enjoying it.  Really great story about a boy standing up for what he believes and knows is right when his new town wants to throw the former slaves off their island so the town can turn to tourism for money. 

Tallgrass*  - Loved it!  Great example of a family raising their kids right.  Plus this story has it all: history, farming, WWII, soldiers, internment camps, murder, illness, family tragedy, etc.


Slam -  Really liked it.  It's the story of a teenage boy who gets his girlfriend pregnant.  So, lots of swearing, but actually pretty mild on the sex other than of course that it's happening. 


The Wednesday Wars - Loved it!  A 7th grade boy learns about family and who he is with the coaching of a teacher who he's pretty sure hates him.  This is set during the early 70s and the Vietnam War, a period of history with which I discovered I'm not super familiar.

I still have two more in that stack to read.  I'll start The Lonely Hearts Club tonight or tomorrow, and then on to Hemingway.  Maybe I should read so much teen fiction before jumping on to Hemingway.  : |

*Interesting side note, I didn't know either of these books were about Japanese Internment camps during WWII until I started reading them and then read them almost right in a row.

2 comments:

LisAway said...

Thanks. I'll now be making those sour cream apple bars, which I would not have otherwise. :)

Alanna said...

I quite liked Slam, so I'm glad you liked it, too. You should try A Long Way Down, also by Nick Hornby-- it's another one of his books that has a horrible sounding plot, but managed to be really good and occasionally hilarious all at the same time. (Don't bother with How to Be Good-- I hated that one!)

I'm excited for Book Club next week!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...