"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Friday, September 17, 2010

Weezer's new album: Hurley

Weezer released a new album this week. It took me awhile to track it down because Target was supposed to have the Deluxe album (with 4 extra songs) for $9.99 this week, and both our Targets were sold out. But then I saw that Best Buy was also selling it for $9.99 for a limited time and I bought it for Jed as a "Congrats on passing both of your Qualifying Exams" gift, even though as we were leaving the store, the kids said, "how come we're buying Dad a Weezer cd? You like Weezer, Dad likes The Killers." He likes Weezer TOO! I promise. And had The Killers had a new cd released, I would have congratulated him with it instead.

So far I really like the album. It's a little reminiscent of a lot of their past albums. My kids especially love the song called, "All My Friends Are Insects.*" And on the song Trainwrecks, this part cracked up Jed and I: "We don't update our blogs, we are trainwrecks." And a couple lines later, "We're digging through the couch for cash" cracked up our kids. There are a few spots I have to fast forward through to skip the swear words, but now that I know the song well, I'm on it. Usually, 90% of the album is clean. At least this time it's not he F-word being rapped which it was on the last album. Oh, and there's a cool cover of a Coldplay song.

*Which, I didn't realize was from their appearance on the show Yo Gabba Gabba until I looked up the lyrics. Should I be glad my kids aren't into a show called Yo Gabba Gabba, or should I think it's the coolest show ever because Weezer went on it? Here's the video:

Weezer on Yo Gabba Gabba! from NickPress on Vimeo.


For all the real Weezer fans out there, they are releasing a Deluxe version of the 1996 album, Pinkerton, in November. As well as a compilation of previously recorded but unreleased songs and a 3rd installment in the Rivers Cuomo solo album series. And they're working on a new studio album. I remember discovering Weezer in 1996-1997 and being so desperate for them to release something new and it wasn't until 2001 that they released the self-titled Green Album. Since then they've released five albums plus a Deluxe Blue Album and two Rivers solo albums. Yea! And they recorded The Monkee's song "I'm a Believer" for Shrek Forever After." I LOVED The Monkees as a kid, and that song.

3 comments:

Alanna said...

I only know a few of their most popular songs, but I do like those ones. But I wanted to say-- I'm always impressed when someone says they're a fan of whatever rock group and it turns out that they REALLY KNOW that group's music. Not just your average "I can hum along with that one song that gets played on the radio, but I couldn't name a single other thing they've written" wannabe fan. Those people annoy me. Good job being an actual fan!

Kristi said...

I saw Weezer on Yo Gabba Gabba and thought of you. It's kind of a crazy show. It annoys me, but it has had some pretty hilarious things on it too. I don't know how you feel about Jack Black, but I thought his jig on the show was funny.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B69umIClRqs

wendys said...

We don't have cable so we don't watch gabba gabba. I loved that clip though! We haven't bought the new album yet... pocatello has NO stores. I feel that I barely have gotten to know Ratitude and now there is a new one?? They are pumping out the music fast lately.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...