"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Monday, September 06, 2010

Journals

I'm attending two funerals this week for babies. As I was thinking about all the thoughts I need to get out about these sad occurrences, and realizing that these are not my tragedies to publicly grieve about, and that they hold no place on my own blog, I remembered journals. Remember those? It's a place where you write the private observations and thoughts you have. Not that I write too many private thoughts and emotions, or even read the blogs of people who do, but I do think I more often than not am writing blog posts in my mind as events are occurring, rather than penning my private journal entries. So off I go to my journal...

2 comments:

Cristin said...

Ah yes, journals. I think I would write in my journal more if I could type it, rather than handwrite it. Handwriting things is so tedious.

Anyway, those funerals sound really sad. I was discussing this with my midwife a couple of weeks ago (she lost a baby at 3 days old) and another friend who lost a baby at 2 weeks old. They both said the same thing: Baby deaths are far more common than you think, people just don't talk about it. So sad.

Alanna said...

I really liked that you wrote this. I've been struggling with the same issue-- to blog or not to blog about such serious things. And I kept going back and forth because part of me felt like it wasn't my tragedy, even though it affects me, so what right did I have to write about it as if it were mine? But at the same time, ignoring it seemed equally wrong.

I think your conclusion is spot on. Private journals are for these kinds of things. Good solution.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...