"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Sunday, August 08, 2010

Chocolate Layer Dessert

I LOVE this dessert. I could eat the whole thing by myself. That's why I made it tonight because we were feeding the missionaries... so I'd at least have to share some with them . . . and my family.


from The Essential Mormon Cookbook (with some adjustments by me)

Ingredients:
1 box shortbread cookies
¼ cup butter (melted)
8 oz. tub lite Cool Whip knock-off (thawed)
2 (8 oz.) packages cream cheese (I use 1/3 the fat Neuftchatel) (at room temperature)
2 cups powdered sugar
2 (5.9 oz.) packages chocolate instant pudding
4 cups milk
2 tsp. Vanilla
a handful of chocolate chips
Directions:
Crush shortbread cookies until fine.  Stir in butter.  Press in the bottom of a 9x13 pan.  Bake at 300 for 5-8 minutes.  Cool completely.
To prepare first layer, blend together thawed Cool Whip, cream cheese and powdered sugar.  Spread over cooled crust.  Refrigerate at least 2 hours.
For the second layer, combine pudding, milk and vanilla with an electric mixer at low speed until it begins to thicken.  Spread on top of cream cheese layer and refrigerate several hours or overnight. 
Before serving, garnish with grated chocolate chips. 
To serve, cut into squares. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...