"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Thursday, July 29, 2010

It's a Miracle!

I've finally finished Buddy's blanket. And it was actually rather simple and very quick. I got out all the fabrics (8 of them) that he picked out and ironed them last night. I was planning on doing a rag quilt with 5 inch squares but was terrified of actually cutting out all those 5 inch squares and lining them all up right to make it look good. Then I had the brilliant idea (thanks to Etsy) to do strips instead. (This helped too.) So I cut each half yard into 6 inch by 41 inch strips and had Buddy help decide how we'd put them all together. I didn't know if the front and back should be identical, or if we should create basically two different quilts. He ended up liking the layout where all the orange fabrics were on one side. And I eliminated one fabric that was more babyish and knocked the Nascar fabric down to only one stripe. I'm sneaky like that. Here's the final product!


The orange side is the frayed side, so I guess the front. I really like how it turned out.


The back.


Folded in half so you can see both sides at once.


Zoom in on the one corner. I eliminated one row of the Nascar fabric (because I didn't really like it, and didn't think it matched well) and added a row of street sign fabric (that I only had a little bit of) and a rectangle of scraps from Little Guy's blankey fabric (since what started this whole mess was Little Guy stealing Buddy's tiny blankey I made to replace the burp cloths that had always been his blankeys). And the white fabric with little cars on it next to the navy blue and white stripe, is some of the tiny scraps I have leftover from Buddy's original blankeys, two burp cloths I sewed for newborn Buddy. He still has those burp cloths, they are in his bed or under his bed or scrunched down in the toes of his bed, they just aren't AS important as they once were.


Happy Buddy!

And one more thing crossed off my New Year's Resolution list.

4 comments:

Rae said...

Great job!! And such a happy boy!!!!

Erin said...

That is really fun. Great job!

wendys said...

I love it. I like the idea of stripes instead of squares.

Tiffany said...

I just love this quilt you made, it is so cute! And I'm super impressed, because I've never even attempted to make anything like this before.

By the way, I do know Jeff Chiapelli, I grew up with him too! In fact, he was closer to my age than Andrea, she is a few years older than me. Jeff has a twin brother named Joel, who I had a huge crush on when I was probably 15 years old (memories!!).

Also, I love that you always comment on my blog, Nancy! It is nice to know that someone out there is interested in my life....you're great!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...