"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Friday, July 02, 2010

Halfway Through Twenty-Ten Resolution Update

  • Create and order prints of Blurb books for my family blog for 2008 and 2009, (I just ordered 2007).
I have one month left to do in 2008. So that's just about on target for doing two Blurb books in one year. Yea!

  • Be able to run a mile without stopping.
I can run half a mile without stopping. We actually haven't been running a lot because it's been SO STINKIN' HOT.
I've been working on baby blankets, but one more baby project and Buddy's quilt is next.
  • Read 15,000+ pages. Include more classics, adult fiction and nonfiction.
Totally on target to surpass this. I'm at almost 10,000 pages for the first 6 months of the year. A couple have been nonfiction and I'm reading another right now. Still a lot of Young Adult, but adult fiction as well.
  • Get fit. I'm happy with how I look and I'm happy with the size clothes I wear. I just could be more toned and fit.
I need to come up with indoor fitness stuff too because running isn't working out so well now that it's hot and humid out there.
  • Use coupons.
Sort of. But not like those super coupon users who buy $200 worth of groceries for $35, or whatever.
  • Start a book club for Princess Sparkley.
Ahh! I need to do this. Poor kid. What should the first book be? She's almost 8, and reads voraciously.
  • Finish writing something.
Yikes again. Although by "something," I really left that open for myself, didn't I? I've finished writing lots of grocery lists, menus, blog posts, etc. But I was thinking more along the lines of a story or novella.
  • Be less sarcastic with my kids.
But they get my sarcasm... so I think it should be okay. Right?
  • Be more crafty and hands-on with my kids.
A little. PS and I have sewed some little projects together. I tried to do a variety of art projects with them this year. One of which is this Statue of Liberty I want to do tomorrow or next week. (Hat Tip: The Crafty Crow)
  • Plan homeschool lessons in more detail.
I think I've done alright. There's always room for improvement, but I'm okay with how the school year went. And we're sort of on hold with this until August. Right now they are just keeping up with practicing (reading, writing, adding and subtracting - Buddy - - spelling, handwriting, punctuation, capitalization, adding, subtracting, and multiplying - Princess Sparkley).
  • Visit a museum (or historic site) in Washington DC at least once a month.
January- National Postal Museum (just Jed and the kids, I had strep throat)
February- National Gallery and Museum of Natural History
March- Williamsburg, Mt. Vernon, Cherry Blossom Festival, Kite Festival, National Aquarium in Baltimore (PLUS, Philadelphia)
April- Cherry Blossom Festival, Nationals baseball game, Great Falls National Park
May- National Train Day at Union Station (Jed took Little Guy and Buddy to the Air and Space Museum)
June- Alexandria, the Torpedo Factory Art Center
July- Potomac Mills Mall in Woodbridge (which, according to my new book, Virginia Curiousities, is the largest tourist attraction in Virginia... kinda sad.) Plus, we're supposed to go to the National Zoo again next week with our homeschool group, and a bunch of other fun stuff with them in July... assuming we do it all.
  • Teach Buddy to read well.
He doesn't think he can read, but he does okay. He read me a number two book the other night with just a little bit of help.
  • Teach kids to ride bikes without training wheels.
We've gone out and practiced a few times, but Jed and I are stuck on how to get a kid to ride a bike without training wheels as well as how to get them to swim. Our kids just won't do it. Argh.
  • Teach Princess Sparkley to sew.
We've worked on a few projects together. Mostly she just likes pinning scraps of fabric to her doll. But we made a doll sleeping bag together. And we've worked on a couple embroidery projects together - both not finished.

New Year's Resolutions originally posted here.

3 comments:

Angela said...

Thats pretty impressive. I never set resolutions because I don't do them. As for swimming, just get them to float, then they will be ok. Bike riding, I have no idea...

EmmaJ said...

Hey, I saw your Blurb resolution and thought you might be interested in this coupon. I used it, so it works. But you only have about 6 weeks to do your books.

http://leeloublogs.blogspot.com/2010/06/cbc-pictures-get-free-blog-book-and.html

Aimee said...

Wow, you are doing great! It seems you are good at making realistic goals or goals you are truly motivated to do. It must be nice to be crossing them off!

A thought: if you called it "verbal irony", would you feel less guilty, and more like you were preparing your children for English literature comprehension and criticism? Because I think that is an advanced skill, having taught many middle school and high school students who STILL DON'T GET IT. Besides, the kids who get sarcasm are the funniest.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...