"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Making Meals

On days (weeks, months, ...) when I feel like all I am doing it feeding people all day (breakfast, second breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, dessert, night time snack, etc.) I've decided to start reminding myself it could be worse.  In Little House on the Prairie times, pioneer times, any period of time before grocery stores and microwaves and ovens, women spent essentially the entire day cooking.  The time that food prep and cooking would have taken, made it so they really were COOKING ALL DAY LONG.  Good thing they didn't have a local library, bookstore, television or internet. 

2 comments:

Miss L said...

Here, here!

On Sunday I made some rolls and was talking about how long it took from start to finish, and my sweet husband informed me that he'd just read about how back in the day, at the Beehive House in SLC, the family made 24 loaves of bread and 24 pies EVERY DAY for the Young family and the people who were building the temple. That's a lot of baking! Can you even imagine? Ugh.

Angela said...

Did I tell you that my sister and I are pretending we are pioneer women to deal with our lives? Its actually been quite helpful.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...