"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Chilled Hot Chocolate

I'm sure none of us bought a giant tub of hot chocolate mix at Sam's Club this winter and then barely made a dent in it before the weather warmed up. None of us, right? But if you were foolish enough to have done such a thing, I have the perfect chilly solution for you... Chilled Hot Chocolate.

Ingredients:
1-1/2 cups warm water*
4 envelopes** (1 ounce each) instant hot cocoa mix
2 cups vanilla ice cream
1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream

Directions:
In a blender, combine water and cocoa mix; cover and process until dissolved. Add ice cream and cream; cover and process for 30 seconds or until smooth. Pour into chilled mugs. Yield: 4 servings.

Verdict:
Yum!
I had high hopes for this recipe, but deep down figured it would taste too much like a chocolate milk shake (and I'm not such a big fan of chocolate ice cream or chocolate milkshakes). It did not disappoint my high hopes. As a hater of chocolate milk shakes, I LOVED this. So I figure, if you are like a normal person who loves chocolate milkshakes, this thing should be heavenly to you.

*Here's my question for you: Do you think I could use 3 cups of milk rather than 1 1/2 cups half and half with 1 1/2 cups of water. To me, those seem to cancel themselves out into regular milk. And I tend to have regular milk on hand, always. This is not true about half and half.

**One envelope is about 2 heaping tablespoons.

2 comments:

Alanna said...

YOU DON'T LIKE CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM OR CHOCOLATE SHAKES???

I'm not sure we can be friends after all, Nancy.

Unless, of course, what you really mean is that you only like them when it's high quality, really chocolate-y ice cream/shakes. Because who wants chocolate that doesn't particularly taste like chocolate?

In any case, I will definitely have to try this recipe out some time soon!

Miss L said...

We tried this out this evening and it was a GINORMOUS hit. Thanks for sharing!!! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...