"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Monday, May 03, 2010

=w=eezer


Another concert to add to my concert list.
This is from Jed's camera phone, see better pictures here.

Friday night Jed and I celebrated our anniversary by hiring a babysitter and taking the Metro to College Park, MD where we saw Ben Folds and (my favorite band) Weezer perform.

The fans were super obnoxious. I'm not even sure a lot of them could be called fans because they were college students using it as an excuse to be drunk in public. (Non-students had to pay $40 while students paid $5... they should have separated us somehow so we didn't have to mingle with people who weren't really there for the show). We almost got puke on us. The kids behind us kept trying to secretly smoke hoping security wouldn't spot them. And they were all so ugly. The guys were dressed like slobs with hair that hasn't been cut and the girls were all wearing the latest fashions, but looked ridiculous. Oh, and everybody texted and took pictures the whole time. And they all had to yell loud hellos to anyone they sort of knew so that the people they were with knew they knew a lot of people. Maybe we're just getting old, but I'm pretty sure all of this would have bugged me ten years ago too.

Ben Folds was the only opening act we saw. He's a talented guy, but I am not familiar with any of his solo work and it just sounded like REALLY loud piano chords. And he swore... a lot. All the college kids around us hated him and complained LOUDLY.

Weezer was awesome, as always. It was nice that the concert was not promoting any specific cd, so they played a bunch of songs from all of their albums. I was surprised that the crowd really knew their songs. Most of the college students were in elementary school when the Blue album and Pinkerton came out, but they knew those songs as well as the more recent albums. Rivers Cuomo is hilarious and donned a long, blond wig for part of the show to be Lady Gaga. A lot of other band members sang instead of just Rivers, which is also true of the most recent two albums, but they sang old songs that were originally Rivers's. Pretty fun. Plus it's always a bit thrilling to be singing as loud as you can and not be able to hear yourself. And thanks to lots of long car trips with my BFF Angela, I knew all the words to all the songs from the first two albums. And because my kids enjoy Weezer as well, I know most of the words to the songs from later albums. Plus the really obnoxious kids behind us left before it even ended... see, not true fans.

For those of you who are actually Weezer fans... here's their set list:
  1. Hash Pipe
  2. Troublemaker
  3. Undone (The Sweater Song)
  4. Surf Wax America
  5. Let It All Hang Out
  6. Perfect Situation
  7. Dope Nose
  8. Say It Ain't So
  9. Can't Stop Partying
  10. Why Bother?
  11. (If You're Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To
  12. My Name Is Jonas
  13. Beverly Hills
Encore:
  1. Pork and Beans
  2. Kids (MGMT cover)
Encore 2:
  1. Island in the Sun
  2. Buddy Holly

If you are a new reader who didn't post your concert list when I posted mine, please comment with your list now.


Read Jed's review here.

5 comments:

Myk said...

I'm jealous- Ben Folds and Weezer. How'd their MGMT cover sound? I love MGMT as well. I've never been to a concert. I sat across the river from the outdoor amp. and listened to The Frey, but I don't think that counts.

Cristin said...

Nice. Thanks for posting the set list, I was curious what they played. I would have loved it also. Too bad about the obnoxious people. I can't believe students got in for $5!!

Alanna said...

Did you see the Scoresbys there?!?!! Glad it was fun despite the obnoxious people!

Angela said...

Oohhhh I am dying!!!! I would have LOVED to see that show! I can't believe they played 2 encores!!!!! This reminds me of when we saw Weezer in Vegas and those crazy guys kept ramming into us and Jed got so mad at them. That was a great show too. Weezer Forever! I hope they are still touring when we are 80...

Nance said...

Myk- I was unfamiliar with MGTMT before this concert. The crowd seemed to really like it and it sounded pretty cool. But, like I said, I have nothing to compare it to.

Alanna- I knew from Facebook that Scoresbys would be there, but didn't see them. Joe mentioned the concert in my son's Primary class and Buddy was super excited because he knew that it was the Weezer concert we'd gone to.

Ang- If Weezer is still touring when we're 80, they'll be 90 or so. But I am excited by how many more cds they are releasing now (as opposed to the time after Pinkerton). Have you checked out Rivers's solo albums? We downloaded them on Napster.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...