"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2015) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Thursday, April 29, 2010

A short list of books I didn't expect to enjoy... but did

Dracula by Bram Stoker

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

The Lady and the Panda by Vicki Croke

Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach

84, Charing Cross Rd. by Helene Hanff

Uglies
by Scott Westerfeld

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith*

The Sex Lives of Cannibals by J. Maarten Troost

Pope Joan by Donna Woolfolk Cross

*Jed had to explain to Princess Sparkley at a bookstore the other day that Jane Austen didn't write the zombie one. She wasn't really aware of the original book, just the one I'd read more recently. She asked what Pride and Prejudice was about and he explained it. So she asked what Pride and Prejudice and Zombies was about. He told her the same story, but they are fighting zombies. Apparently she cracked up right there in Barnes and Noble.

5 comments:

Erin said...

Have you read the Hunger Games yet? Amazing! I have to check out some on your list. The only one I have read is Pope Joan and I did enjoy it!

Cristin said...

The Uglies is next to read on my list after I finish Catching Fire (the Hunger Games sequel).

M. Gray said...

How many of these do you own? You might need to be my new best friend.

wendys said...

I hated the lovely bones. Couldn't finish it. But I loved loved loved Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

Tiffany Harkleroad said...

To anyone who liked Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, may I recommend Jane Slayre, I absolutely loved it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...