"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

Monday, April 05, 2010

Last Week's Menu in Review

I'm horrible at posting my week's menu in advance, but I have been pretty good about making a menu before going grocery shopping. The one problem I find in doing this is that I need to plan less than seven meals and I need to plan on a leftovers meal. I keep finding that I have meat I have to freeze because I haven't gotten to that recipe yet and it's nearing its freeze by date. Or, for instance, right now I have an avocado nearing its last leg because I haven't gotten around to making the salad it's supposed to go in. I over plan. Oh well. It'll get eaten.

Here's last weeks menu, with reviews since a lot of the recipes were new to me:

Monday: Passover (we follow this book, Days of Awe: Jewish Holy Days, Symbols & Prophecies for Latter-Day Saints by Gale Boyd).
Crusty Chicken (I can't find the exact recipe online, but it's basically chicken coated with Matzah meal, garlic powder, salt, pepper and oregano then friend in olive oil).
Potato Latkes
Charoset
Three Ingredient Peanut Butter cookies

Review:
The chicken was okay. The Potato Latke was yummy, similar to this Zucchini Fritter. Charoset was okay... basically just cinnamon sugar sprinkled on chopped apples and nuts. The peanut butter cookies were really good, for the simple recipe that they were. I cooked them longer than the recipe said, and flattened them.

Tuesday: Tostadas - store bought tostada shells with refried beans and cheese melted on top in the oven. I was planning on trying this recipe, but didn't have time.

Review: The kids love these. Simple, which was great on Tuesday because we got home from the Aquarium at dinner time. Sometimes I fancy them up for me and Jed with chicken or ground beef and lettuce and tomatoes. This time I just had the kid version with salsa and sour cream.

Wednesday: Four-cheese Pasta Florentine

Review:
This made a nice 8 or 9 inch square dish but the kids wouldn't eat it because there was too much spinach. I even like spinach, but this was too much spinach in an otherwise yummy dish. I'd make it again, but with way less spinach. And I'll make some plain noodles on the side for my plain noodle eaters.

Thursday: BBQ Pork Sandwich

Review:
I made this a few weeks ago and made way too much marinade, so I froze half of it. The first time, I rubbed the pork with pepper like the recipe says, but it was too peppery for my taste. This time I just sprinkled it with a little pepper and I liked it much more. Serve with BBQ sauce or it's rather dry.

Friday: Greek Chicken Pasta (from the most recent Taste of Home magazine)

Review:
I really liked the idea of this, (Penne pasta with sun-dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, chicken, feta cheese) but the actual dish wasn't to my taste. Jed enjoyed it, but felt there was too much artichoke. The kids had macaroni and cheese from a box because I knew they wouldn't touch this.

Saturday: Philly Cheesesteak - Since we didn't get a chance to eat one in Philly a couple weeks ago, I made them at home.

Review:
YUMMY! Although I followed some of the comments on this recipe and served it with Cheese Whiz instead of healthier cheese, and I marinated the meat with Worchestershire Sauce, onion powder and garlic powder.

Sunday: Ham, cheesey potato casserole, and orange rolls.

Review: The orange rolls are divine. My cheesey potato casserole turned out weird this time, but is usually my favorite. And the ham was just an Archer Farms ham from Target, no fancy recipe. The kids LOVE ham. We ate a quarter ham, just the five of us.


Since I posted my menu here, I've made the Penne Rustica recipe several times and we all LOVE it.

5 comments:

Andrea said...

Cheese Wiz?? I'm feeling a bit leery about that. Was it good? I love my cheese steaks with provolone,sauteed onions and mushrooms and a tomato sauce. I think this needs to be on my menu next week!

LisAway said...

Is there such thing as too much spinach? I LOVE the stuff. And I have to make that Penne Rustica since both you and Erin have linked to it. I'm afraid of the cream, though. I will probably use half milk and half cream. Let's not be crazy. :)

Erin said...

Those recipes look great! I find it much easier to post my menus after the fact too.

wendys said...

I've got a huge bag of feta cheese in the fridge, the Greek Chicken Pasta sounds really good.

Cristin said...

I like that you are doing this. I've been trying to eat more low fat stuff. Do you ever try to intentionally eat low fat dinners? I don't, but I think I should start.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...