"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2015) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Book Report: She Got Up Off the Couch by Haven Kimmel


She Got Up Off the Couch by Haven Kimmel


In writing up my review of Beverly Cleary's autobiography, A Girl from Yamhill, I remembered that I never gave my final thoughts on Haven Kimmel's second autobiography, She Got Up Off the Couch.

I loved the first book, A Girl Named Zippy and even though I heard from a lot of different people that the second book was a lot darker, I didn't feel that it was. The book is still all about Zippy's childhood, but in the details is her mother's life, the "she" in the title is referring to Zippy's mom. It's her mother struggling to be a person she's happy with, putting in the effort and achieving great things. But none of this makes Zippy's dad happy. This story basically leads up to the parents' divorce at the end. And even though divorce isn't a happy thing, I got the feeling that their lives would show improvement with the mother in the lead. I liked it and if you read A Girl Named Zippy and were entertained by it, I think you'll enjoy finding out more of the story.

2 comments:

Ann Best said...

Hi, Nance. I saw the comment you posted on my blog about my upcoming novel. It was a rough time, but as trials continue, there is light at the end of the tunnel. I hope you'll read it when it's released. I'd like to get your response. Meanwhile, I've met you and glad I did. This is a fun blogsite. I've put my name on as a follower. I relate to Beverly Cleary. Many years ago I read Ramona and loved it. You've written a good review here of the Zippy books. I hope to read them soon. I first heard about Zippy from M. Gray. Do you happen to know her since she lives in Manassas? Where do you live? My other three children and grandchildren live in Warrenton, Haymarket, and Centreville. We're coming up Sunday to Warrenton to see my 18 year old granddaughter who's about to graduate from h.s. in her last Shakespeare play of the year. I'm just hoping the weather will be good. I look forward to getting to know you better.

Gayle said...

I loved Zippy, (MANY laugh out loud moments that I had to share with whomever was around!) and looked forward to the second book. I found it different--as my sister said, In Zippy, we knew her family was odd. In She Got Up Off the Couch, Zippy has figured out that her family is odd. It gives the book a different feel.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...