"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Cherry Blossom Project

Why do I do this to myself? I still have Buddy's blanket to make that I've been promising him forever, but it involves cutting a lot of fabric into little squares and the sewing them together. Neither of those things do I enjoy, nor do well. That's just the biggest project on my unfinished project list, there are many, many more. Yet here I am, tackling another project.

The National Cherry Blossom Festival starts in Washington, DC this weekend. A couple weeks ago in a gift shop in DC we saw the 2010 festival t-shirts. I loved the artwork. Princess Sparkley wanted one. I wanted one. As I was looking into the different events of the festival I kept catching glimpses of the wonderful cherry blossom art and decided instead of spending $15+ for a t-shirt that will fit Princess Sparkley like a pillowcase, I should create one. I'm afraid I've been reading the blogs of too many crafty people.

I looked around online and at Etsy for ideas and then the kids and I made a trek to Joann's trying to find what I needed to create what I had pictured in my mind. At first it was just going to be a tree branch and blossoms added to a t-shirt PS already owns. Something like this.



But then I found this fabric.

At first I thought I'd use these flowers on a tree branch, but wasn't sure how I'd do that, and was not very confident in my sewing nicely around anything small skillz. But I loved this fabric, and continued to carry it around in the shopping cart finally having the brilliant (yet questionable) idea to make a skirt out of it to go with a shirt.

So, following this tutorial for a bubble skirt, I'm going to attempt it. But first I have to trek back to Joann's for some brown fabric for the interior of the bubble skirt. Unfortunately, I often find myself at the fabric store, not knowing what pattern I'm going to follow, until I'm there and am then left guessing as to how much fabric to buy. I overbought the flower fabric, and I didn't take into account the need for a secondary fabric. Does anyone else have this problem?

1 comment:

Kristi said...

It's going to be so cute! I can't wait to see the finished product!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...