"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Books vs. the Movies Made From Them


I actually watched a movie tonight that I think was better than the book it was based on. In my younger years, I would have claimed that no movie is ever as good as its book. I've come to appreciate the art of movie making, and have allowed myself to see that it doesn't always hurt the story to change it.

The movie I watched tonight was My Sister's Keeper based on the novel of the same title by Jodi Picoult. The movie was still the same story, the same characters (for the most part) and I still cried just as much, but what they left out, and what they changed, made it into a story I enjoyed much more. A lot of that had to do with the ending of the book, which was just... horrible. But I remember when I read the book, Picoult* even said something along the lines of her son having read the book and not speaking to her for a week** because of how it ended, and she just told him basically, that's how it wrote itself. So I can't be mad at Picoult for the book ending the way it did, but I can be very thrilled with the movie people who changed it. And they didn't even make it a happy ending, just a more believable one, I thought.

Also, while I'm talking about books and movies... I enjoyed The Time Traveler's Wife movie as well, and I especially enjoyed the special feature where they talked about how they took the book, and made it into a screenplay... very interesting.

* Plus she hates the idea of the movie changing the ending according to this. But she says here that she did enjoy the movie.
**I believe this is in the the reader's guide in the book.

7 comments:

The Man Your Husband Is Worried About said...

About a Boy the book totally sucks. About a Boy the movie is fantastic.

delilas said...

We watched that same movie last night. I have not read the book so I can't compare. But from your review I don't think I need to read it now.

Erin said...

It was nice to read about the differences between the movie and the book. It has been so long since I read the book that I had forgotten about that horrible ending. I thought they went a little far with that romance in the movie. It seemed a little silly.

So do you recommend reading the time traveler's wife before seeing the movie? Since I am about 50th on the reserve list at the library, I could probably read the book before I get it.

Jill said...

I hated that book. I don't think that I even got to the end

Nance said...

Erin- The Time Traveler's Wife movie seemed VERY close to the book to me. Both were good.

SPOILER ALERT:

Jill- You are lucky. In the book, the little girl who doesn't have cancer and has been fighting to emancipate her self from her parents ends up dying in a car crash just after finding out she's won her lawsuit and her lawyer then agrees to donate her kidneys to her sister (with cancer) who then loves. It was just so annoying to have read the whole book expecting one sister to die, and having the other one die.

Aimee said...

Holes was a movie that I enjoyed as much as the book. Typically, though, they leave my favorite parts out of a movie, as in Boy in the Striped Pajamas

Cristin said...

Our book club actually read "My Sister's Keeper" last month and then watched the movie. I couldn't believe it was even the same story -- the movie makers changed it so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...