"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2015) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Monday, February 01, 2010

Australia

Australia is invading my life as of late.

In the past year, even in just the past few months, I've read several young adult novels written by Australians.

I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta
Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta
One Whole and Perfect Day
by Judith Clarke
Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks

Jed and the kids have been following Australia's Jessica Watson sail her boat, Ella's Pink Lady, around the world trying to be the youngest to do it.

Buddy's favorite chapter books Jack Russell: Dog Detective are written by an Australian husband and wife team, so when Jed reads these books to the kids, he does so with an Australian accent.

I've loved the movie Strictly Ballroom since a roommate introduced it to me in college. "Feel the Rhythm. CLAP. CLAP."

And I've discovered this Australian book blog, which is filled with more books that I can even hope my own book blog will be someday.

2 comments:

Erin said...

I LOVE Strictly Ballroom too. It has been to long since I have seen it. I wasn't aware that Zusak was Australian. I am going to check out those Jack Russel books.

M. Gray said...

Another fan of Strictly Ballroom. ;)

Tagged you on my blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...