"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

What DO I Write

I like to write. I can't exactly hide that when my blog address and my blog title are about writing. But Mary asked me what I write and the answer is both simple and complex. Basically, right now, what I write is a whole lot of nothing. I'm not a very motivated writer. Nor do I have 7 hours a day sitting in a classroom bored out of my mind in which to fine tune my writing skills and crank out stories like I did in high school and college.

I would like to write with the humor of Louise Plummer, Joan Bauer, Louise Rennison and Jane Austen. The brilliant creativity of Melina Marchetta, Mark Dunn, J.K. Rowling, Ally Carter, Libba Bray and Jasper Fforde. The ability to create incredible, realistic stories like Catherine Gilbert Murdock, Mary Ann Shaffer, Sarah Dessen, Laurie Halse Anderson and John Green. Be able to word everything so poetically like Sharon Creech, Louis Sachar and Jerry Spinelli. I wish I could create the suspenseful atmosphere found in books by John Grisham, Dan Brown, Lois Duncan, Joan Lowery Nixon, Lisa Scottoline and Wilkie Collins. I want to create stories that are simply fun like those by Meg Cabot, Cecilia Ahern, Amy Krouse Rosenthal, Ann Patchett, Wendy Mass, Sarah Mlynowski and Ann Brashares.

There are probably hundreds of writers I claim as my "favorites" who I haven't mentioned above. And most of these writers could fall into just about any of the categories I placed them in. Mainly I love to write. I would love to be successful at it.

If I had all of the free time in the world with which to write, what would I be writing? I'd love to work on a book, but for someone who has wonderful ideas that never make it past the introductory story set-up stage, a book seems like an unreachable goal. Right now, I'd like to finish one of my story ideas, if it ends up book-lengthed... extra fabulous.

What type of book?? I wanted to be a children's book author and illustrator when I was a child. This dream died when I discovered that I can't draw. Nor do I feel confident enough in my writing to be able to pull off a fabulous story in so few words. As I grew older I wanted to write young adult mysteries. This dream died as well because I've come to believe that in order to write a successful mystery or suspense story, you must be extra clever and smart. I don't think I fall into this category. I can see myself writing something along the lines of a coming of age, teen novel like those by Sarah Dessen and Joan Bauer. I also really enjoy contemporary chick lit, but knocked up a notch so it has more substance than just being chick lit. Something along the lines of Ann Patchett or maybe Nicole Krauss.

Until then... I'll just imagine my future as a successful author whose book was just picked by Oprah. :)

2 comments:

The Man Your Husband Is Worried About said...

Two points:
1. I sold you a book idea that you aren't using.
2. In your penultimate paragraph you said "knocked up." Hee hee.

Angela said...

Thank you for not putting Stephanie Meyer on any of your lists and I think you should write a story about you and me:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...